Friday, May 28, 2010

The Assisstant/Neuromancer begun 28/5/10

"The Assistant"
Bernard Malamud, 1957.

I initially wanted to write down all books as I started reading them and as I finished, and this is probably the place to do it with a text file kept elsewhere of simple dates. I also lately picked up and read The Assistant, thanks to the local library.

I'm noticing a great deal that books I choose are being chosen because I believe it will be a fun read, or easy to get. I had to send away from my univerisity (UWS) to another to get this book, and read it quick enough to return without getting a late fee. "THE ASSISTANT" as a title said to me that there was double-crossing, very complicated Office shinanigans, goings on and some female James Bond action going to happen.

When I found out it was about Frank, the assisstant, and his attempts to help w poor Jewish family with their down-in-the-dumps grocery store I was once again completely sideswiped (much as when I bought a copy of "Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret." While the expectations never match the real book, they give plenty of ideas for stories I could write later on, I mean doesn't a sexy stealthy pro-self female James Bond who's saving the Office sound kinda fun?

Regardless, The Assistant was an easy, pleasant read, filled with the want to keep reading and see how this pathetic lot did. They're jewish, their poor, and the grocer himself is relentlessly forgiving of everyone for everything. He gets mugged one night and Frank shows up, willing to work for the shop while the grocer recovers.

As the story goes along we see more and more ups and downs that swell the hopes of the grocer and his family, and drown our their spirits entirely. Frank's own hopes keep wavering between doing good, stopping himself from doing bad and wanting redemption but not being able to face the hurt of those he must face up to.

It's a lose-lose situation, it seems, yet the human spirit of mere existance, and the happiness garnered from the simple existance, keeps the story moving, and all characters inside it. Much like Winstan Smith and the Inner Party, against all hope the reader wants the best and wants to see if the characters get it or not, whether our heroes win in the end.

They do and they don't. It raises discussion between like minded readers and always ALWAYS points a finger at some aspect of social living that deserves more attention. The Assistant is a good read because you feel quite akin to Frank and the grocer and his family, as they're regular people with every day troubles. Not that I've ever run a shop, but I've run the same gambit of hopes and broken dreams that these characters do.

I could see myself rereading the book in several years, or perhaps when I purchase my own copy. This is different from, say, Naked Lunch, which I will most certainly buy and with a passion, but don't imagine I'll be in any savage hurry to reread. The concept is naked, and truthful, and I can see why there are so many barriers up to stop the world from being "just so".

I also enjoy the thought process that goes into "Will I read this again or not?" once done with a book. You make up your mind, tell your co-readers what you will wont do and why, and then share. Maybe you'll encourage them to read again, maybe they'll show you a different light in which to take the book.

The best example of argument for this is Clockwork Orange, or any book that challenges the language of every day life. Nadsat was hell the first time through the book, but being a brash young boyo like myself I was determined to master it, so read it a second time. Got it down. Third time though I knew the language, and the story, so was much better able to enjoy Alex and his intelligence despite such beastly behavior. And thanks to all these thoughts when I suggest Clockwork Orange to anyone I tell them "It's short, but you'll likely read it three times."

The best book for rereading however has to be Lewic Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I've read it twice this year already and picked it up again yesterday. I've also seen Tim Burton's movie (a good fleshing out of characters but it's genre changes from literary nonsense to adventure, a discouraging move) and found an old copy of Jan Svankmajer's 1988 stop motion "Alice."

Neuromancer

I've only just started Neuromancer, but it's sat on my brothers bookcase for years now. The name and cover warned me that this was yet another sci-fi book, and wasn't I beyond all attempts at serious sci-fi, saving myself for only silly nonsense and fun sci-fi, ala Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Of course that warning turned into a delight when I found Neuromancer on the List, and already found by a matter of years. Reading the first few pages I'm reminded of, of course, Bladerunner, and every other sci-fi "good book" that I've read. They've got conviction in their new-age devices, mentioning their exciting names and detailing them very proficiently with minimal effort, then continuing on their way. I love a good sci-fi with enhanced human abilities, but the riverlet that started became an ocean and now is an entire world of it's own, all continents on this water-world calling out "Yeah, we're the best."

Starting as an idle glance, then reading far more than I had expected to, I've got high expectations of Neuromancer, but will ultimately leave happily if I just get a good amount of fun action from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment