Monday, March 21, 2011

What's all this about then?

Hello, I haven't updated in ages but you don't seem to mind. I've had uni lately, and other online things to write (I play a fantasy cardgame in my spare time and write articles for that too).

At the moment, with the list, I'm stuck in the middle of several books. Neuromancer is still being read, as is the Adventures of Augie March, which honestly feels like a watered down version of a child Henry Miller. I'm sitting in the library where I borrowed Naked Lunch and should be doing uni work but oh wells. I consider this kind of writing out an article idea much more rewarding to my future career choices, as it's actively performing my later job NOW, instead of studying to maybe be good at it later.

I was watching 1984 yesterday, and knew I was watching John Hurt and female lead. It isn't the same as the book, certainly not Winston telling me his sad story. It feels more like John Hurt wants to tell us this frightening story himself, and he does so wonderfully. It's just a shame so much of the world of 1984 wasn't there, as with the words used. "It's doubleplus good!" from Symes just doesn't seem to work well. He's being expressive when the idea of Newspeak is to be less expressive. Surely someone who enjoys a good chat will one day revolt against the idea of having two words for response, good or ungood.

Regardless I'm about mid20s through the list now, but I need to get cracking on the titles I have opened at the moment. The trouble there is casual reading, as I still have to finish Harry Potter 7 [I bought in the day it was released, started and lost interest half way through. There's no point in reading it, you know it'll go "And then Harry won" at the end!] and Ulysses, which I got for christmas. I need a good day set aside to just read, but my house doesn't really lend any room to "good for reading."

There's also At Swim 2-Birds which I enjoy showing to people, as the cover is a table top but there's a few water stains from a glass rim, which actually disguise two birds in the classic "m" style as seen in children's paintings.

There's something to be sad for Clockwork Orange, that Alex D'large is just such a character.

No comments:

Post a Comment