Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Same day sideboarding

OK, before I leave tonight here's the changes and explanations behind them.

-1 Hero Bladehold
-1 Frost Titan
-1 Think Twice
-4 Sphere of the Suns

+4 Oblivion Rings
+3 Steel Sabotage to SB
+2 Sun Titans from SB to Main

+1 Elesh, Elspeth, Venser added to SB

The Hero and Frost Titan were removed to make space for the O Rings. I figured playing a load of threats without decent removal for the opponent's threats felt too simply minded and aggressive. After all, I had no hope against Tempered Steel if they ever resolved their namesake card. The Hero and Frosty felt alright to remove because 3 Heroes means I'll still draw one in good time, and Frosty really did far too little when he showed up, compared to what I had hoped for him to do.

The Spheres are gone because my deck didn't need that much mana. They were most often played against other control decks, who'd allow me the extra mana because they would just play around my threats and extra stuff every turn, counter the critical spells while killing creatures on their own turn. I do envy their black.

Sun Titan came in as a real-big-six, who can obviously return Phantasmal Image to chain together a nice load of power and toughness (with vigilance) for a little cost, ending with an Oblivion Ring hopefully.

The only other changes were some fun one-of's in the sideboard that help the deck as well as being cute. Elspeth can make dorks and be reset with Venser (though this doesn't allow 2 activations in the one turn: watch out for that. Elesh Norn is great against the smaller attacking decks assuming I get to 7 mana, so maybe some Sphere of the Suns could stay in the sideboard, maybe 2.

Having said that, I don't enjoy Ratchet Bomb in the sideboard. I haven't played it to great effect yet, but I don't imagine removing them just to try out Elesh whom I might never want. Blowing up stuff for 2 mana is always quicker and easier then maybe blowing up a load of things (and swinging for heaps) if I get to 7.

So here's the list I am piloting tonight; wish me luck.

8 Island
8 Plains
4 Seachrome Coast
4 Glacial Fortress
---
24 lands

4 Solemn Simulacrum
3 Hero of Bladehold
3 Wurmcoil Engine
2 Mirran Crusader
2 Phantasmal Image
2 Sun Titan
1 Consecrated Sphinx
---
17 creatures

4 Mana Leak
4 Ponder
4 Oblivion Ring
3 Think Twice
3 Dissipate
1 Gideon Joura
---
19 others


4 Timely Reinforcement
3 Steel Sabotage
2 Day of Judgment
2 Ratchet Bomb
1 Venser, the Sojourner
1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 Jace Memory Adept
---
15 sideboard

No comments:

Post a Comment